3.05.2011

and then it was gone.

The dentist told us to drop the paci immediately this week. Declan's teeth were moving. We were definitely not looking forward to this next step in life. We decorated a "paci box" and delivered them to a friend's son, Baby O, last night.

One last moment with his beloved paci. I will sort of miss the upside down Nuk. 
"I have to give these away?!"
 "Here you go, baby O"...
 Then we were off to Target to pick out a big boy gift and shower him with praise! He picked out a mini train track set. 
Update: Night 1: It was really tough to get him down last night. We took turns rocking him and soothing him for over 2 hours. He was asking for his paci a lot! We just reminded him that he gave them to Baby O and that he was a big boy now. Finally, around 11pm he fell asleep, slept all night BUT was up waaay earlier than normal just talking and crying. We tried to sooth him but he was up for the day. Hope it was a fluke. I can not get use to 6:45am. We just re-adjusted from his normal 9:30am wake up to his new 7:45am wake up. I'm dreading nap time but know that this will hopefully only last a few days. Hopefully. Praying. Wishing. :) All in all, glad the big first step is over. Off to make more coffee...

4 comments:

Melba said...

Coffee is the best! I don't know why, but this post makes me feel somewhat sad. Probably because I know our paci days are numbered too and that's one of the last reminders of baby-hood. Of course I want the new stages and growth but it's soooo bittersweet. The baby days go by WAY too fast!

Anyway, he is precious, as always and it sounds like he did great, considering he had to let go pretty quickly.

Melba

Simply Complex said...

9:30 AM? Wow, and to think my friends are jealous that G sleeps until 7:30! How awesome for you. And good luck on the paci thing because it sounds like you might need it.

April said...

I hope he's able to get into a better routine soon. I'm sure it's traumatic to have to give up your paci! Love his smile in the last picture...it can't get much bigger! : )

Sam said...

We are going to have to do this with Ukulele soon - and I am not looking forward to it. I'm already talking to her about the "Paci Fairy" and how she'll get a new babydoll when she gives her pacis away.